Mountaineer Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine (MPT) was established in August of 2001.MPT was created to provide personalized and individualized patient care and treatment. Patients are seen and treated by physical therapists who are experts in their field. They perform a detailed biomechanical examination and assessment of musculoskeletal and neural structures. By thoroughly understanding the relationships between pathomechanics and the processes of tissue repair we are able to optimally develop and administer clinically effective treatment plans specific to each patient.
Our philosophy is to provide patients with exemplary care to achieve optimal health and function. In otherwords, patient care is our number one priority. This is done by one-on-one care by a licensed physical therapist with extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology and the biomechanics of the body.
Also, MPT prides itself on promoting academic involvement by being proactive in taking continuing education courses as well as having a staff member that serves as a clincal faculty member for West Virginia University. This updates and enhances our therapeutic knowledge base and choice of treatments for our patients. By completing courses, reviewing scientific journals, teaching students, and applying our clinical expertise, we provide each patient with individualized care to attain their personal goals.
Common physical therapy techniques and approaches include:
- Manual therapy (hands-on): soft tissue, trigger points, joint mobilization, muscle energy techniques, strain counter strain.
- Therapeutic exercise: flexibility, strength, endurance, stability, agility, proprioception, and plyometrics.
- Modalities (pain management): electrical stimulation, therapeutic ultrasound, heat, ice, iontophoresis, anodyne.
- Postural education: core strengthening, scapular stability, sitting and standing posture, body mechanics.
- Home education and management program: maintenance of improving status, do's and don'ts with injury.
We look forward to be able to provide the care you need to get you back to the activity level you deserve.